Hungarian Weapons - Fémáru FÉG 48.M Walam Pistols
In 1946 the BM (Belugyminiszterium) requested a Walther PP type service pistol for the Hungarian Police to replace their aging WW1-era Frommer Stop Pistols.
One of the pre-war Femaru design engineers, Lajos Elody was called back to run the project. The resulting design was a copy of the Wather PP with slight modifications. Most Walther PP
parts were interchangeable with the 48.M. Post-war PP mags also fit the 48.M. The manufacturer's legend on the slide: 'FÉMÁRU ÉS SZERSZÁMGÉPGYÁR N.V. BUDAPEST 48.M. KAL. 7.65mm'.
The pistol was adopted by the police in 1948, hence the 48.M designation. The original Police Contract was 22000 pistols, from that number about 11,500 went to the National Police, 10,000 went to the Vám- és Pénzügyőrség (Border and Bank Guards) and 450 hard-chromed versions went to the high ranking police officials. After the 7.65mm police contract was fullfilled in 1950, the pistol was offered for other units and for export.
The grips were redish-brownish bakelite with crests. Early manufactured grips had the 'Police crest', the later versions had the 'Rakosi crest'.
During the 1956 Revolution a small number of 48.M's were supplied to party officials for self defense. The slide of these pistols were stamped 'POLGÁRI' [civilian].
The pistol was in police service until 1959, when it was gradually replaced with other FÉG pistols chambered for the Makarov 9mm: RK-59, R-61 and PA-63.
Note: This pistol called the Rendõr (Police) Model 48, (or 48.M), which can lead to confusion with the Hungarian Army Model 48 (the copy of the Soviet Tokarev TT-33). The 7.65mm Police 48.M was never adopted by the Hungarian Army.
Photo courtesy of Empire Arms.com
In 1957 a contract from Egypt was received for the 9mm version of the 48.M Police Pistol. These contract pistols were named Walam. WALAM is short for
WAlther-LAMpart, where 'Walther' refers to its Walther PP origin, Lampart refers to FÉG's short lived post-WW2 name, Lámpagyár Rt, later Lámpagyár NV.
The contract was terminated for political reasons after 10000 pistols were delivered. The remaining pistols were sold commercially, some used by the Hungarian police. The WALAM is a high
quality modified copy of the German 7.65mm Walther PP chambering 9mm Browning Short ammo. Some of the parts were made by Walther. Most parts, including the
magazine are interchangeable with the post-war Walther PP. The loaded-chamber indicator is mounted on the top left of the Walam slide rather than at the rear of the
slide as does the Walther. These pistols are 19mm [.75"] longer than the PP. Loading, firing, and field stripping of these steel framed pistols is the same as that of German Walther PP and PPK.
The pistols safety mechanism and firing pin system was an impoved version of the PP by Fémáru's weapon designer, József Kameniczky.
1958 made Walams are marked 'WALAM 48 Cal 9mm Brow Short' 'Made in Hungary FÉG 1958' on the slide. The Crest of Egypt is stamped into the left side of the
slide. The grips are plain checkered, as shown on the picture.
Starting in 1959 the Walam Pistols are marked 'FÉMÁRU ÉS SZERSZÁMGÉPGYÁR NV 48M KAL 9MM'. The Crest of Egypt was omitted. The grips display a five-point star with the Hungarian Communist 'Kádár' Crest.
Some of the Walam Pistols were supplied to the Hungarian Police, others were exported and sold through Hege-Waffen of West Germany. See the Hege AP66 Pistol
Examples have been seen with normal Hungarian markings accompanied by 'HEGE' stamped into the frame. Also, British marked Walams can be found and some examples have both British and Hege markings
On this example the original markings were carefully removed from the slide and the US importer's legend was added as shown:
In addition to the Hungarian proofmarks, crowned (and superimposed) CP marks can be found on the frame and slide. Please notify the author if you know the origin of the CP mark.