Hungarian Weapons - Mannlicher Infantry Rifles
These German contract guns were made by Fémáru Fegyver és Gépgyár, Budapest, which company possibly subcontracted some or all of the work to Danuvia
Gépgyár, Budapest 1941-44
There is a disagreement, where these guns were actually made. Most US collectors claim these were made only by Fémáru, based on that the receivers are stamped 'jhv', the German Ordnance code for Fémáru. Danuvia made G98/40 should have been marked with 'jua', Danuvia's German Ordnance code, and no such G98/40 have been reported. This appears to be a very strong case, however the Hungarian Ministry of Defense archives from the 1960's refer to the G98/40 as Danuvia made. According to several European collectors, the G98/40's were made by both factories, with Fémáru using Danuvia as a subcontractor. Other Europeans claim, these were made by Danuvia only. Quite a few references can be found in Europe calling the rifle 'Danuvia G98/40'. Hungarian sources are split on this issue. The 'subcontracting' explanation receives more support by knowing that in the 1950's Fémáru/FÉG subcontracted the manufacture of the machined AK-55 receivers to Danuvia, because 'Danuvia had better manufacturing facilities'. - Please, e-mail the author if you can supply additional evidence supporting either side of this disagreement.
Caliber: 7.92x57mm Mauser
Muzzle velocity 780 m/sec with S.S. ball cartridge
Integral charger-loaded box magazine, 5 rounds
Action: Turning-bolt action, locked by rotating lugs on the detachable bolt head into the receiver. The rifle had a 2-piece bolt with the bolt handle positioned ahead of the receiver bridge when the bolt is forward for added strength
1092mm [43.0"] overall, 3.91kg [8.6 lbs]
605mm [23.8"] barrel, 4-groove rifling, RH, concentric
Tangent-leaf sight graduated to 2000 meters
In 1940 the Puska 35.M (Mannlicher Model 35) was redesigned for the German contract. Based on German request the caliber was changed to 7.92x57mm Mauser, the bolt handle was turned down, a staggered row Mauser-type box magazine flush with the bottom of the stock was fitted and German M98-type bands and bayonet lug were used on this rifle. All steel parts, including the bolt were blued.
G98/40 Assembly Drawing and Parts List
This rifle was called the G98/40 by the Germans, and marked so on the left side of the receiver. Its unknown why
was the reference to the G98, because none of the major rifle parts had anything in common with the G98. Perhaps the Germans considered this as an
improvement over the G98, or maybe it was easier to have this 'foreign designed rifle' accepted with a G98 reference.
Marking on top of the receiver: the date of manufacture and 'jhv', the German Ordnance Code for Fémáru. Note the
bore diameter of 7,91mm on the barrel shank. Correct WaffenAmpts on these rifles: WaA56 and WaA173
Manufacturing data: 1941: 37000 pieces - [est: 0001a - 7000d] (reported: 9500a - 6579d) 1942: 28000 pieces - [est: 7001d - 5000g] (reported: 7012e - 2163g) 1943: 54000 pieces - [est: 5001g - 9000l] (reported: 8766i - 3421k) 1944: 19400 pieces - [est: 9001l - 8400n] (reported: 9263l - 2679m) Total: 138400
WaffenAmpt 56 (1941-42) and 173 (1942-44) are correct for this rifle
Earliest WaA 173 serial reported: 2163g
Bayonet lug and front sight protector
Rear sight leaf graduated to 2000 meters
Germany used their Standard 98k type bayonet with this rifle