Hungarian Weapons - Madsen Light Machine Gun
Made by A.S. Danks Rekillriffel Syndikat, Coppenhagen, Denmark
Caliber: 7.92x57mm Mauser
32 round top mounted box magazine
Tangent rear sight graduated 200-1900 meters
Cyclic rate: Actual 100-120 rpm, Theoretical 500-600 rpm
During WW1 and several years following it, Austria and Hungary lacked the capacity to develop a necessary light machine gun.
During WW1, in 1914 632 Madsen light machine guns were purchased from Denmark.
In addition, using Germany as an example, the Schwarzlose 1907/12.M Machine Guns were altered for a light machine gun purpose. A light weight mount was used, a butt was added with shoulder support, and a 100-round belt was used instead of the 250 rounder. The Hungarian Army used these until 1924, when they adopted the Madsen Machine Gun as the 24.M.
The Madsen Machine Gun was invented by Danish Lieutenant Theodor Schouboe. It was patented in 1901. The Danish Minister of Defense named Madsen ordered the adoption of the gun. It was sold to 34 countries during 50 years. It had a selector for semi or full auto operation. Came with a bipod and a butt support.
The Madsen was replaced by the Solothurn Machine Gun in 1931. The Madsens were pulled from storage and reissued in 1943. Many
were reissued with light anti-aircraft mounts.