Hungarian Király-Kucher Submachine Guns & Machine Pistols
|Designed by József Kucher, Institute of Military Technology, Budapest|
Quantity: Unknown, manufactured by Danuvia Gépgyár, Budapest
Caliber: 7.62x25mm Tokarev
35-round staggered row detachable box magazine
Overall length 844mm [33.2"], 532mm [20.9"] with stock folded
Barrel length approx. 280mm [11"]
Weight 3.1kg [6.8 lbs], 3.7kg [8.1 lbs] with loaded magazine
Sight adjustable 100-200 meters
Muzzle velocity 480 m/sec
70 rounds/min actual firing rate
This design was based on the WW2 Danuvia 44.M prototype, designed by Pál Király
and his then assistant, József Kucher, at the Danuvia Factory.
The re-design was started by Kucher in 1949. The gun was chambered for the Soviet 7.62x25mm Tokarev TT pistol cartridge. A folding stock was added.
Magazine foldability was eliminated. The selector for full or semiauto mode was retained. The receiver was precision machined steel.
The K1 performed successfully at the military trials in Táborfalva on 11/11/51. It was adopted by the Defense Ministry, and manufacturing was approved.
Some sources claim that the gun was adopted in 1953 and received a 53.M designation.
This machine pistol was often referred to as 'Pénzügyőr Géppisztoly" [Treasury/Customs Guard Machine Pistol]. An unknown, but limited quantity of K1's were manufactured. It appears that due to political pressures and plain ignorance, the copy of the far inferior Soviet PPSh-41 was much more widely produced and used.
In the mid-1950's Kucher also developed a lighter, faster, shorter, improved version of the K1, but the Rákosi-era Communist Leadership showed no interest in Hungarian developed weapons.