Austro-Hungarian Rapid Repeating Gatling Gun
Made by Paget & Co, Wien for the Hungarian Honvédség, 1871, 10 pieces
Caliber: 11x42R M1867 Werndl
400-round drum magazine
Rear sight graduated 100-1200 schritt
Weight of Barrel group and firing mechanism 227kg
Weight of Gun carrier 194kg
837mm 4-rifled barrel length
Muzzle velocity approx 435 meter/sec
Theoretical firing rate 400 rpm, actual 240-280 rpm
The Gatling Gun was invented by Dr. R.J. Gatling in 1862. It was patented in 1865. First manufactured by Colt, Hartford, USA. It was made in several
calibers, from 7.62x25mm up to 1". The Russian Tsar purchased 400 guns. These were converted to 10.66mm Russian by Colonel Goulov's plans. The Russians
succesfully used these against the Turks at Pleva in 1877. England used Gatling guns against the Zulus in 1879 and in their 1882 Egyptian war. The
Gatling gun stayed in US service until 1917.
The Hungarian Honvédség purchased 10 Gatling Guns from Paget & Co, Wien, a licensed manufacturer of Gatlings. The Gatlings stayed in Hungarian fort
defense service until 1890, when they were replaced by the more modern 8x52mm M1889 Schwarzlose Machine Guns
The Gatling Gun had 10 barrels layed out in a circle, parallel with each other, rotated manually by a crank-handle. The barrels, a carrier, and a lock cylinder were separate and all mounted on a solid plate revolving around a central shaft, mounted on an oblong fixed frame. The carrier was grooved and the lock cylinder was drilled with holes corresponding to the barrels. Each barrel had a single lock, working in the lock cylinder on a line with the barrel. The lock cylinder was encased and joined to the frame. The casing was partitioned, and through this opening the barrel shaft was journaled. In front of the casing was a cam with spiral surfaces. The cam imparted a reciprocating motion to the locks when the gun rotated. Also in the casing was a cocking ring with projections to cock and fire the gun. Turning the crank rotated the shaft. Cartridges dropped individually into the grooves of the carrier from the magazine. The lock was simultaneously forced by the cam to move forward and load the cartridge and when the cam was at its highest point the cocking ring freed the lock and fired the cartridge. After the cartridge was fired the continuing action of the cam drew back the lock bringing with it the spent cartridge which was then dropped into a sack.
The cartridges were loaded using a 400 round drum magazine from the top. The rotation of the barrels and the loading was synchronized. The firing barrel was always at the lowest position. The Gatling Gun had a 3-person operating crew. The carrier axle had two drum storages (800 rounds), the Gun train contained 8 drums (3200 rounds) for the total of 4000 rounds issued per gun.